OUR FIRM + YOU
Sherwood Design Engineers: Engineering + Ecology + Creativity
Sherwood is a civil and environmental engineering practice committed to the optimal integration of ecology, infrastructure, and design. We were established in order to provide a new generation of infrastructure services focused on both planning and implementation. The firm has implemented net-zero green building projects, district infrastructure, new street standards, and many sustainable civil projects throughout the world. Sherwood has worked on over thirty award-winning projects and has seen its work published internationally.
We specialize in sustainable infrastructure, water management strategies, green building design, and urban planning. Important to our engineering practice is our ability to span building and landscape. Our focus is on the conservation and management of the consumption of all site resources— carbon, energy, water, and waste. Sherwood works collaboratively with project teams to find ways to maximize efficiencies through an integrated and ecological approach that results in high performance buildings and landscapes recognized for function as well as aesthetics and user experience.
Are you ready to join the forefront of sustainable engineering? Sherwood Design Engineers is changing the way cities are built in the 21st
Century. Help chart the course to a greener future as part of our dynamic, mission-driven Santa Cruz team!
Design Engineer III (Water/Wastewater)
We have an immediate need for a Design Engineer III to work at our Santa Cruz.
- Develop and lead high quality, cutting edge sustainable engineering solutions for our clients including process evaluation, facilities planning, engineering design, permitting & compliance, construction administration and operations planning
- Prepares calculations, design criteria and technical memorandums
- Work across teams and engage subconsultants as needed to implement quality assurance and quality control through all project phases.
- Provide support and guidance to junior engineers through training and mentoring to help meet project deliverables
- Create and implement innovative design techniques that enhance company productivity of assignments
- Ensure engineering designs are in compliance with current applicable state & local regulations
- Work closely with internal project team in development of Construction Documents for all scales of site development
- Develop illustrative exhibits, plans, specifications, cost estimates, and construction schedules
- Works independently under general supervision
- Exercise sound judgment on design decisions to uphold professional standard of care
- Ability to provide support to an internal team through a design project
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of sensitive company and client information
- Works well and communicates effectively with others
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize to use time effectively
- Ability to read and interpret written information and follow instructions
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to prepare reports, correspondence, and memos
- Maintains accurate and complete records
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Willingness to work with multiple staff and be a part of multiple teaming scenarios
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience
- Strong water/wastewater technical background, including in-depth knowledge of water and wastewater treatment processes including for water reuse
- Knowledge of project phases including master planning, conceptual design, pre-design, detailed design, and construction administration
- Ability to research and interpret technical documents
- Experience in preparing and advancing plan set packages through all project phases including providing redlines for drafters
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering. Degrees in civil, environmental, chemical, or mechanical engineering all considered.
- EIT required. PE preferred
- Certifications or other sustainability-oriented accreditation preferred (LEED , Envision, Living Building Challenge, EcoDistricts)
- Working knowledge of Windows
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Working knowledge of cloud-based collaboration software (Google Apps, Asana, Dropbox, Sharepoint, etc.)
- Must be proficient in AutoCAD
- Knowledge of Bluebeam preferred
- Knowledge of GIS preferred
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Knowledge of civil design programs (Civil 3D, LDT, Storm and Sewer Analysis, Hydro CAD, Flowmasters, Storm CAD, etc.) preferred
- Experience with water/wastewater process modeling simulation software (e.g., BioWin, GPS-X) preferred
Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.