OUR FIRM + YOU
Sherwood Design Engineers: Engineering + Ecology + Creativity
Sherwood is a site civil engineering practice committed to the optimal integration of ecology, infrastructure, and design. We were established in order to provide a new generation of infrastructure services focused on both planning and implementation. The firm has implemented net-zero green building projects, district infrastructure, new street standards, and many sustainable civil projects throughout the world. Sherwood has worked on over thirty award-winning projects and has seen its work published internationally.
We specialize in sustainable infrastructure, water management strategies, green building design, and urban planning. Important to our engineering practice is our ability to span building and landscape. Our focus is on the conservation and management of the consumption of all site resources— carbon, energy, water, and waste. Sherwood works collaboratively with project teams to find ways to maximize efficiencies through an integrated and ecological approach that results in high performance buildings and landscapes recognized for function as well as aesthetics and user experience.
Are you ready to join the forefront of sustainable engineering? Sherwood Design Engineers is changing the way cities are built in the 21st
Century. Help chart the course to a greener future as part of our dynamic, mission-driven Santa Cruz team!
Design Engineer II
- Plan, organize, train, evaluate, and assist and supervise the work of junior staff
- Coordinate preparation of bid packages; prepare and supervise the preparation of construction estimates for inclusion in the budget; develop proposed section budget.
- Attend and participate in conferences and meetings.
- Prepares designs, specifications and plans for projects by researching information, developing cost estimates, bid documents and technical engineering reports; writes legal descriptions.
- Conducts research and studies to analyze engineering aspects of projects; makes recommendations on contract specifications and change orders.
- Reviews and monitors the work of contractors and consultants for compliance with contract specifications; evaluates and makes recommendations for unusual field conditions or unique project needs; monitors compliance with appropriate regulatory agencies.
- Supervises and performs field survey work as it applies to construction of projects.
- Responds to inquiries and resolves complaints relative to assigned projects.
- Review and approve complex soil reports prepared by geotechnical engineers for the evaluation of the technical suitability of project sites.
- Approve engineering drawings; direct and oversee the preparation of engineering designs, plans and specifications for construction projects; supervises the review and approval of various permit applications.
- Conducts field inspections of projects; coordinates with public and private agencies regarding projects about to start or under construction; review and consult with staff regarding award of contracts.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Plan, organize, supervise, train and evaluate the work of professional and technical staff.
- Schedule work, determine priorities and make decisions to resolve difficult problems.
- Analyze technical and administrative problems and develop and implement solutions.
- Understand, interpret, explain and apply applicable laws, rules and regulations,
- Supervise the preparation of engineering designs, plans and specifications in the construction and modification of facilities.
- Supervise the inspection and monitoring of contractor compliance with approved engineering plans and specifications in the construction and modification of facilities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Effectively manage and administer a flood control projects including regulatory permitting.
- Perform difficult and complex engineering work.
- Prepare clear and concise administrative and technical reports.
- Speak effectively before groups.
- Prepare budgets.
- Learn to input, access and analyze data using a computer.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Environmental or Sanitary Engineering or related field
- 2-8 years of industry experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering from an ABET/EAC accredited program
- EIT required
- Proficient in AutoCAD
- Working knowledge of Windows
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Working knowledge of Google Apps
- Knowledge of GIS and Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Knowledge of Civil programs preferred (Civil 3D, LDT, Hydro CAD, Flowmasters, Storm CAD, etc.)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.