OUR FIRM + YOU
Sherwood Design Engineers: Engineering + Ecology + Creativity
Sherwood is a site civil engineering practice committed to the optimal integration of ecology, infrastructure, and design. We were established in order to provide a new generation of infrastructure services focused on both planning and implementation. The firm has implemented net-zero green building projects, district infrastructure, new street standards, and many sustainable civil projects throughout the world. Sherwood has worked on over thirty award-winning projects and has seen its work published internationally.
We specialize in sustainable infrastructure, water management strategies, green building design, and urban planning. Important to our engineering practice is our ability to span building and landscape. Sherwood works collaboratively with project teams to find ways to maximize efficiencies through an integrated and ecological approach that results in high-performance buildings and landscapes recognized for function as well as aesthetics and user experience.
Are you ready to join the forefront of sustainable engineering? Sherwood Design Engineers is changing the way cities are built in the 21st
Century. Help chart the course to a greener future as part of our dynamic, quickly growing mission-driven team in New York!
Urban Strategist Job Description
Sherwood is looking for an accomplished Planner/Designer/Engineer who has experience working on multi-disciplinary projects to provide innovative technical solutions to enhance the design process. This position provides a platform for a critical thinker and a design communicator to take a creative approach to problem solving. This role includes management of multiple tasks, communication with clients and design partners, an understanding of the role of infrastructure in the design process and a focus on water infrastructure.
The successful candidate should have the ability to think independently, manage assignments and manage teams of people responsible for the delivery of reports, presentations and drawing packages. This person will need to be able to work in a fast-paced environment, where you may be responsible for multiple parallel assignments. This person must be organized and able to manage multiple assignment effectively and work across offices (Sherwood has additional offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Atlanta). This assignment may involve working on international projects. If you are looking for a fast-paced work environment with opportunities for advancement and the ability to work on transformative projects that are shaping a sustainable future, then you should apply for this position. See below for office environment, culture, and work concentration.
We have an immediate need for a full-time Urban Strategist to work at our New York office. Civil Engineers, Environmental Engineers, Landscape Architects, Urban Designers and Planners will be considered for this position.
Job Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Communication, thought leadership, coordination of engineering integration into design process
- Ability to work with engineers to conceptualize place based technical solutions
- Concept sketching, conceptual diagram, visualization of technical concepts
- Writing, report development
- Ability to apply sustainability frameworks to engineering and design projects
- Understanding of City Planning
- Ability to translate information into compelling visual narrative, illustrations, and visual aids
- Works independently under general supervision
- 6 -12 years of industry experience
- Experience with design process
- Experience managing projects
- Fluent in reading, understanding and developing base mapping
- Ability to develop concept level rendered diagrams, sections, elevations, and plans
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Works well and communicates effectively with others
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, multi-task, and use time effectively
- Ability to read and interpret written information, and follow instructions
- Ability to read, interpret, collect data documents, and 2d data sets
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to prepare reports, presentations, correspondence, and memos
- Ability to perform in a high pressure, quick and dynamic environment
- Willingness to work with multiple staff and be a part of multiple teaming scenarios
- Maintains confidentiality and security of sensitive company and client information
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s Degree in Urban Design, Environmental Planning, Landscape Architecture or similar
- LEED, Envision, LBC, Well Certification preferred
- Illustrator, InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite or similar
- 2d and 3d CAD, 3d Studio Max, Rhino or Sketchup
- Video editing, working knowledge of video platforms
- Modeling capabilities – sustainability metrics
Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.