OUR FIRM + YOU
Sherwood Design Engineers: Engineering + Ecology + Creativity
Are you ready to join the forefront of sustainable engineering? Sherwood Design Engineers is changing the way cities are built in the 21st
Century. Help chart the course to a greener future as part of our dynamic, mission-driven Los Angeles team.
Sherwood Design Engineers is an international civil engineering practice committed to integrating ecology and climate resilience into infrastructure through innovative, cutting-edge design. We partner with top design teams from around the world working at the building, neighborhood, and city scale. We bring specialized leadership in innovative site engineering, including watershed management, sustainable water systems, green building, and urban ecological systems.
We have pioneered the intersection of infrastructure with ecological-urban design on hundreds of leading international engineering projects in more than 20 countries. Our work is often the first-of-its-kind in applying green infrastructure systems, strategies and concepts to a spectrum of planning, engineering and construction projects. We deliver highly integrated, highly collaborative design developed in tandem with the world's leading architecture and landscape architecture firms.
Founded in 2002, our award-winning projects include Hudson Yards in New York (the largest private real estate development in U.S. history), San Francisco Better Streets Plan, Greater New Orleans Urban Water Plan, revitalization of the iconic waterfront Brooklyn Bridge Park, and the 35 square-km Baietan Urban Area Plan in the heart of Guangzhou, China.
We are seeking an individual with a great attitude, ready to work hard as part of our mission-driven company. We are looking for someone who can keep the long-view in mind while solving complex and dynamic day-to-day assignments. You should be able to work productively as a leader and as a team member. This is a full-time position. Compensation will be based on work experience and is negotiable.
Design Engineer III
We have an immediate need for a full-time Design Engineer III to work at our San Francisco headquarters. Only Civil Engineers should apply.
- Work closely with internal project team in development of Construction Documents for all scales of site development
- Work with a team of design engineers, CAD designer to assure Quality Assurance and Quality Control through various phases of projects
- Lead a team of junior engineers in the development of project deliverables.
- Create and implement innovative design techniques that enhance company productivity of assignments
- Ensure engineering designs are in compliance with current applicable state & local regulations
- Develop project specifications in CSI format
- Develop illustratives, drawings and visual aids
- Works independently under general supervision
- Exercise sound judgment on design decisions and in application of standard methods
- Work with multiple site base files oriented in different coordinate frames and varying units
- Assemble and collate plan set packages
Skills and Experience:
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of sensitive company and client information
- Works well and communicates effectively with others
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, multi-task, and use time effectively
- Ability to read and interpret written information, and follow instructions
- Ability to read, interpret, collect data documents, and design topographic data sets
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to prepare reports, correspondence, and memos
- Maintains accurate and complete records
- Ability to perform in a high pressure, quick and dynamic environment
- Willingness to work with multiple staff and be a part of multiple teaming scenarios.
- 5-10 years of industry experience
- Experience with Site Grading, Earthwork Calculations, Road Design, Drainage (Calculations & Reports), Utility Layout & Sizing, Technical Report Writing
- Experience in assembling and collating plan set packages
- Previous experience in putting together plan set packages and providing redlines for drafters
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering from an ABET/EAC accredited program.
- EIT required. PE preferred
- LEED Certification preferred
- Working knowledge of Windows
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Working knowledge of Google Apps
- Must be proficient in AutoCAD
- Knowledge of GIS and Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Knowledge of civil design programs (Civil 3D, LDT, Hydro CAD, Flowmasters, Storm CAD, etc.) preferred
Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.