OUR FIRM + YOU
Sherwood Design Engineers: Engineering + Ecology + Creativity
Sherwood Design Engineers is an employee owned, dynamic, and mission-driven Civil Engineering firm with high profile clients nationally and internationally. We are engaged with leading academic research institutions and well regarded for innovation, high level problem solving, and thought leadership in the areas of resilience and sustainable infrastructure. Our focus is on high performance urban ecological systems and processes, with a focus on Net Zero Water, Green Infrastructure, Integrated Ecology, Sea Level Rise/Coastal Resiliency, Urban Heat Island, and Landscape on Structure.
Contribute to the development of the next generation of urban fabric in a work culture that values creativity, flexibility, rigor, and excellence.
Sherwood Design Engineers is currently seeking an Urban Design / Infrastructure Modeler to support a progressive and dynamic Civil Engineering firm headquartered in San Francisco. As part of the Sherwood Design innovation Lab (SDiL), this is a new role that will work with our engineering teams to conduct urban infrastructure design studies, create compelling graphic content that advances the engineering work flow, and develop content for thought leadership, project delivery, and external communication of urban systems, processes, and function.
This individual will work with the Director of Innovation, CEO, and Principals to advance urban performance and contribute graphic representation for firm publications, presentations, digital and print marketing, and project deliverables. The UD creates graphic standards for representation, and supports the development of metrics and tools to validate the application of ecological urban strategies. We are seeking an individual who demonstrates professional skills, has the ability to work productively as a member of a team, and can work independently with sophisticated applications to develop graphic narratives.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits, reporting to the Innovation Project Manager and Director of Innovation, as a member of the SDiL management team. Compensation will be based on quality of work and experience, and is negotiable. Architects, Urban Designers, Landscape Architects, Engineers, and adjacent disciplines with exemplary graphic communication skills are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ability to visually represent complex urban systems and conceptual design ideas
- Work closely with leadership to develop frameworks and create high quality graphic content
- Participate in project delivery, working with project managers across the firm to represent engineering concepts and designs in 2D, 3D, and diagrammatic formats
- Work with dynamic teams collaboratively, in a fast-paced environment
- Provide clear and concise analysis of complex design and engineering ideas in a visually elegant and understandable way
- Ability to develop vignettes that communicate infrastructural systems in three dimensions
- Undergraduate Degree in a design or engineering related field
- Masters Degree or equivalent Work Experience
- Experience or degree in Architecture, Engineering, Urban Design or Landscape Architecture
- Candidate may be asked to execute a sample design solution prior to hire
- Adobe Suite (Photoshop / Illustrator / InDesign)
- AutoCAD platform (Civil 3D preferred)
- 3D Modeling and Rendering: Rhino and SketchUp, VRay, or equivalent work product
- Company management software (Deltek Ajera)
- Revit preferred
- ArcGIS preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills for working within an overall design team environment with multiple projects active at any given time
- Effectively able to work well with others at all levels of the company; both onsite and remotely
- Engage with client contact and design partners with the approval of the Principal-in-Charge
- Maintain confidentiality and security of sensitive company and client information
- Strong and versatile computer drawing and design skills; excellent presentation and communication instincts
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, multi-task and use time effectively with minimal oversight
- Work independently under general supervision, use initiative and good business judgment
- Ability to read and interpret written information including business documents, contracts, forms, email correspondence and follow instructions
- Reliable attendance
- Pays attention to detail
- Maintains accurate and complete project records
No foreign language skills are required; multi-cultural and/or international experience is a strong plus
Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicant must include the following via online application process:
- Cover Letter: Describe your interest in the position and why you are a good candidate.
- Resume or CV
- Portfolio of work. Provide a .pdf (less than 10mb in size) demonstrating proficiency in the following areas (if work was completed in a team, state your role in the project):
- Perspective renderings of an urban environment
- Plan / Axonometric / Section drawings describing a speculative or built project
- Infographics and/or diagrams combining data and graphic elements
- Other work product of relevance (professional or academic)