OUR FIRM + YOU
Sherwood Design Engineers: Engineering + Ecology + Creativity
Sherwood is a site civil engineering practice committed to the optimal integration of ecology, infrastructure, and design. We were established in order to provide a new generation of infrastructure services focused on both planning and implementation. The firm has implemented net-zero green building projects, district infrastructure, new street standards, and many sustainable civil projects throughout the world. Sherwood has worked on over thirty award-winning projects and has seen its work published internationally.
We specialize in sustainable infrastructure, water management strategies, green building design, and urban planning. Important to our engineering practice is our ability to span building and landscape. Sherwood works collaboratively with project teams to find ways to maximize efficiencies through an integrated and ecological approach that results in high performance buildings and landscapes recognized for function as well as aesthetics and user experience.
Are you ready to join the forefront of sustainable engineering? Sherwood Design Engineers is changing the way cities are built in the 21st
Century. Help chart the course to a greener future as part of our dynamic, quickly growing mission-driven team in the Northbay. The office is located near downtown Petaluma and a ten-minute walk from the SMART Station.
Design Engineer I
We have an immediate need for a full-time Civil Designer I to work at our office in Petaluma, CA. Only
- Perform site grading analysis and earthwork calculations
- Perform roadway design
- Perform drainage design, calculations, and reports
- Perform utility layout and sizing
- Attend client meetings and project site visits
- Write technical reports
- Development of planning studies and exhibits
- Development of construction plan sets and providing redlines for drafters
- Prepare hand drawings and presentation materials
- Assign tasks to and coordinate with technicians or administrative staff
Skills and Experience:
- Reliable attendance
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read, interpret and collect data documents
- Maintains confidentiality and security of sensitive company and client information
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Works well and communicates effectively with others
- Ability to prepare reports, correspondence, and memos
- Maintains accurate and complete records
- Works independently under general supervision, uses initiative and good business judgment
- Ability to plan, organizes, and prioritize, multi-task and use time effectively
- Ability to read and interpret written information, and follow instructions
- Ability to perform in a high pressure, quick and dynamic environment
- Willingness to work with multiple staff and be a part of multiple teaming scenarios
- Flexibility in working hours
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering from an ABET/EAC accredited program
- EIT required
- 0-4 years of experience
- Ability to apply prescribed techniques and procedures in accordance with established criteria to perform assigned tasks as a part of broader assignments.
- Exercises sound judgment on details of work and in application of standard methods for conventional and innovative work.
- Acquires an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Has the ability to work with multiple site base files oriented in different coordinate frames and varying units.
- Ability to read, understand and design to topographic information.
- Construction Documentation experience on Commercial, Institutional, and Residential projects.
- Work on projects at an independent level with little supervision.
- Proficient in CAD
- Working knowledge of Windows
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Knowledge of Graphics programs (Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.)
- Knowledge of GIS and Adobe preferred
- Knowledge of Civil programs preferred (Civil 3D, LDT, Hydro CAD, Flowmasters, Storm CAD, etc.)
- Intermediate mathematical skills are required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions