OUR FIRM + YOU
Sherwood Design Engineers: Engineering + Ecology + Creativity
Are you ready to join the forefront of sustainable engineering? Sherwood Design Engineers is changing the way cities are built in the 21st
Century. Help chart the course to a greener future as part of our dynamic, mission-driven Los Angeles team.
Sherwood Design Engineers is an international civil engineering practice committed to integrating ecology and climate resilience into infrastructure through innovative, cutting-edge design. We partner with top design teams from around the world working at the building, neighborhood, and city scale. We bring specialized leadership in innovative site engineering, including watershed management, sustainable water systems, green building, and urban ecological systems.
We have pioneered the intersection of infrastructure with ecological-urban design on hundreds of leading international engineering projects in more than 20 countries. Our work is often the first-of-its-kind in applying green infrastructure systems, strategies and concepts to a spectrum of planning, engineering and construction projects. We deliver highly integrated, highly collaborative design developed in tandem with the world's leading architecture and landscape architecture firms.
Founded in 2002, our award-winning projects include Hudson Yards in New York (the largest private real estate development in U.S. history), San Francisco Better Streets Plan, Greater New Orleans Urban Water Plan, revitalization of the iconic waterfront Brooklyn Bridge Park, and the 35 square-km Baietan Urban Area Plan in the heart of Guangzhou, China.
We are seeking an individual with a great attitude, ready to work hard as part of our mission-driven company. We are looking for someone who can keep the long-view in mind while solving complex and dynamic day-to-day assignments. You should be able to work productively as a leader and as a team member. This is a full-time position. Compensation will be based on work experience and is negotiable.
Design Engineer I
We have an immediate need for a full-time Civil Designer I to work at our headquarters in Los Angeles, CA.
- Perform site grading analysis and earthwork calculations
- Perform roadway design
- Perform drainage design, calculations, and reports
- Perform utility layout and sizing
- Attend client meetings and project site visits
- Write technical reports
- Development of planning studies and exhibits
- Development of construction plan sets and providing redlines for drafters
- Prepare hand drawings and presentation materials
- Assign tasks to and coordinate with technicians or administrative staff
Skills and Experience:
- Reliable attendance
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read, interpret and collect data documents
- Maintains confidentiality and security of sensitive company and client information
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Works well and communicates effectively with others
- Ability to prepare reports, correspondence, and memos
- Maintains accurate and complete records
- Works independently under general supervision, uses initiative and good business judgment
- Ability to plan, organizes, and prioritize, multi-task and use time effectively
- Ability to read and interpret written information, and follow instructions
- Ability to perform in a high pressure, quick and dynamic environment
- Willingness to work with multiple staff and be a part of multiple teaming scenarios
- Flexibility in working hours
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering from an ABET/EAC accredited program
- EIT required
- 0-4 years of experience
- Ability to apply prescribed techniques and procedures in accordance with established criteria to perform assigned tasks as a part of broader assignments.
- Exercises sound judgment on details of work and in application of standard methods for conventional and innovative work.
- Acquires an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Has the ability to work with multiple site base files oriented in different coordinate frames and varying units.
- Ability to read, understand and design to topographic information.
- Construction Documentation experience on Commercial, Institutional, and Residential projects.
- Work on projects at an independent level with little supervision.
- Proficient in CAD
- Working knowledge of Windows
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Knowledge of Graphics programs (Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.)
- Knowledge of GIS and Adobe preferred
- Knowledge of Civil programs preferred (Civil 3D, LDT, Hydro CAD, Flowmasters, Storm CAD, etc.)
- Intermediate mathematical skills are required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions